- Business types
- Why TalkTalk Business?
News & Insight
Case StudiesNews and PR
- The contactless customer: A more hospitable approach to digital transformation
- The full fibre future is now: Is retail ready for the big switch off?
- The road to success: How digital solutions are whipping the logistics industry into shape
- Why should your business consider switching to 10GB ethernet?
- Women in Leadership
- 2022 will drive a new need for speed
- Reflecting on COP26
- It’s time to get back to business
- Cardiff: An ultrafast city
- The connectivity market is changing fast: it’s time to upgrade
- TalkTalk is one the best places to work in the UK!
- TalkTalk Business: Finalists in Comms Council UK Awards 2021
- Business Full Fibre can drive post-lockdown success
- The new need for speed
- Ofcom report: UK digital dependency driven to new heights during lockdown
- Business Full Fibre - the what, where and why of full fibre
- Ultrafast Business Fibre: what it is and why you might need it
- Ultrafast Business Fibre is your back to business game changer
- Hybrid Working
- Our approach to customer service
- Supporting hybrid workers with our new cloud-based unified communications offering
- Why does Business Ultrafast Fibre matter to my business?
- Business New Year’s Resolutions
- FTTP FTW! New Research: Full Fibre Most Energy-Efficient Connectivity Method
- Five myths and misconceptions about Business Ultrafast Fibre
- Getting up to speed – Everything you need to know about Business Ultrafast Fibre
- Ready to supercharge your connectivity?
- Controlling costs is just one reason to move to cloud
- The New Business Wi-Fi Hub
- Business as unusual - making homeworking work for the new normal
- Working from home - is residential broadband up to the job?
- What’s the value of an empty desk? How homeworking could help balance the books
- Mitel Platinum Partner - We did it again!!
- Get an hour back every day
- What is a Leased Line?
- One thing you never hear in the office
- Prepare for the workplace of 2025 today: 3 simple steps
- 5 things you should consider before moving to the cloud
- What will the future of collaboration look like?
- The Northern Agenda
- How will machines unleash your business’ potential?
- Are UK workforces ready for the ‘Fourth Industrial Revolution’?
- What we learnt at Accelerate Her 2017
- Saying goodbye to legacy systems - ensuring a migration is trouble-free
- 5 tips to for a better work-life balance
- How our network investment helps digital transformation
- Telco forecast: what to expect in 2019?
- 4 connectivity options to consider when building a resilient network
- Hosted Voice – It’s time to make the move
- 3 reasons why you should consider Business VoIP in the next 6 months
- 4 top tips for hiring the best staff
- Businesses in the Gigabit fast lane
- A beginner's guide to CPaaS
- Soapworks - A home to be proud of
- 5 TED talks you won't want to miss
- 5 reasons to consider an IPVPN solution
- You’re busy right? But are you as productive as you think?
- Collaborating with Openreach to clear Britain’s Ethernet installation backlog
- The Future of Retail
- World Cup 2018: Watch it, tweet it, stream it
- 4 tips to thrive on Black Friday and Cyber Monday
- Flexibility and connectivity for the modern era
- Helping Manchester based SMEs succeed in 2021
- CityFibre Ethernet Access Circuit Promotion
- Mitel 10 Reasons
- Nobody can slow your business down with a dedicated leased line
- It’s time to get back to business
- Should Direct Internet Access be at the heart of your business?
- How SD-WAN is changing the game for IT teams
- Introducing the TalkTalk Business Referral Scheme
- We’re finalists in the UK Complaint Handling Awards 2022!
- Small Businesses Buoyant in Run up to Christmas
- Join us in making the climate crisis history
- Lockdown Lessons
- Mental Health and Wellbeing: Helping our Colleagues
- Challenge 2030: How We're Helping Make the Climate Crisis History
- TalkTalk Business Critical Infrastructure Update
- How to help your staff get the most from their home connectivity
- TalkTalk Business picks up “Best Business” award at ITSPA this year
- Partner Restructure
- Britain's businesses prepare for hyper- speed
- Employees want tech to improve productivity
- 1 in 3 British employees expect more workplace flexibility in the next decade
- Peace of mind matters. So why leave your resiliency to chance?
- Only 1 in 5 workers see AI as a threat
- Are businesses ready to cope with tech advances?
- Preliminary FY17 Results
- TalkTalk Business Awarded Mitel Platinum Partner Status
- UK workers say OMG to RFID chip tracking
- Spend on Small Business Saturday up 15% to £717 Million
- TalkTalk Business launches new suite of Cloud-ready connectivity products
- TalkTalk Business appoints Duncan Gooding as Chief Operating Officer
- TalkTalk launches FibreNation
- TalkTalk Business first to launch business-grade broadband packages to address huge surge in working from home
- A rapid response: how we’ve delivered critical connections during COVID-19
Four enablers business leaders think will really drive the Northern agenda
The Northern Powerhouse is back in the news as the Chancellor has pledged a £400 million boost for the project.
A recent discussion convened by TalkTalk Business and chaired by The Times’ Business Editor Richard Fletcher, wasn’t short of suggestions as to where that investment should be focussed for success.
TalkTalk Executive Chairman Charles Dunstone was joined by Steve Murrells, the CEO of the Co-op Group, Professor Ken McPhail of Manchester Business School and Collette Roche, Managing Director of Manchester Airport to debate the question, “Can the Northern Powerhouse become a reality?”
The panel, all with a stake in the northwest, identified some key enablers needed to unlock the business potential of the region.
Steve Murrells cited the Co-op Group’s work with academy schools in the region where specialist staff with deep subject knowledge educate pupils. “We need to invest in a social infrastructure that gives us the opportunity to maximise the return when you connect all these communities”, he said. “You want people to feel valued and this starts in schooI. Having good role models to help open the eyes of kids and ignite their ambition is key.”
The panel agreed on the importance of upskilling adults who whose jobs are threatened by the march of technology, so that the Northern Powerhouse really is for everyone. But the region needed to work together to help the civic agenda spread “beyond our own backyard”, cautioned Murrells. Charles Dunstone reminded the audience that TalkTalk’s roots are in the Northwest and said he relished the opportunity to “fish for talent in a new pond”.
For Collette Roache, joining up cities would lead to a step change in productivity. “If we have 30-minute routes between Manchester Airport and Leeds or Liverpool that would without a doubt treble the catchment. It means an extra 10 million people can get to our airport. The 80 airlines I work with say that would open 20-30 long-haul routes. One route can bring in £250m of gross value added. Times that by 20-30: think about the inward investment, the talent, the travel and tourism. It’s a no-brainer. That’s why we need to work together to make sure it does happen.”
“We’re not a community that sits back and waits for permission,” said Roche. “While we need the government’s commitment to the Northern Powerhouse to become a reality, the drive and case for change needs to come from the North.”
To hit home the point, Charles Dunstone concluded: “We just need to roll up our sleeves and get on with it. If the Northern Powerhouse is going to be a success then it will be down to all of us to make it happen.”