- Business types
- Why TalkTalk Business?
News & Insight
Case StudiesNews and PR
- 2022 will drive a new need for speed
- Reflecting on COP26
- It’s time to get back to business
- Cardiff: An ultrafast city
- The connectivity market is changing fast: it’s time to upgrade
- TalkTalk is one the best places to work in the UK!
- TalkTalk Business: Finalists in Comms Council UK Awards 2021
- Business Full Fibre can drive post-lockdown success
- The new need for speed
- Ofcom report: UK digital dependency driven to new heights during lockdown
- Business Full Fibre - the what, where and why of full fibre
- Ultrafast Business Fibre: what it is and why you might need it
- Ultrafast Business Fibre is your back to business game changer
- Hybrid Working
- Our approach to customer service
- Supporting hybrid workers with our new cloud-based unified communications offering
- Why does Business Ultrafast Fibre matter to my business?
- Business New Year’s Resolutions
- FTTP FTW! New Research: Full Fibre Most Energy-Efficient Connectivity Method
- Five myths and misconceptions about Business Ultrafast Fibre
- Getting up to speed – Everything you need to know about Business Ultrafast Fibre
- Ready to supercharge your connectivity?
- Controlling costs is just one reason to move to cloud
- The New Business Wi-Fi Hub
- Business as unusual - making homeworking work for the new normal
- Working from home - is residential broadband up to the job?
- What’s the value of an empty desk? How homeworking could help balance the books
- Mitel Platinum Partner - We did it again!!
- Get an hour back every day
- What is a Leased Line?
- One thing you never hear in the office
- Prepare for the workplace of 2025 today: 3 simple steps
- 5 things you should consider before moving to the cloud
- What will the future of collaboration look like?
- The Northern Agenda
- How will machines unleash your business’ potential?
- Are UK workforces ready for the ‘Fourth Industrial Revolution’?
- What we learnt at Accelerate Her 2017
- Saying goodbye to legacy systems - ensuring a migration is trouble-free
- 5 tips to for a better work-life balance
- How our network investment helps digital transformation
- Telco forecast: what to expect in 2019?
- 4 connectivity options to consider when building a resilient network
- Hosted Voice – It’s time to make the move
- 3 reasons why you should consider Business VoIP in the next 6 months
- 4 top tips for hiring the best staff
- Businesses in the Gigabit fast lane
- A beginner's guide to CPaaS
- Soapworks - A home to be proud of
- 5 TED talks you won't want to miss
- 5 reasons to consider an IPVPN solution
- You’re busy right? But are you as productive as you think?
- Collaborating with Openreach to clear Britain’s Ethernet installation backlog
- World Cup 2018: Watch it, tweet it, stream it
- 4 tips to thrive on Black Friday and Cyber Monday
- The Future of Retail
- Flexibility and connectivity for the modern era
- Helping Manchester based SMEs succeed in 2021
- CityFibre Ethernet Access Circuit Promotion
- Mitel 10 Reasons
- Nobody can slow your business down with a dedicated leased line
- It’s time to get back to business
- Should Direct Internet Access be at the heart of your business?
- Small Businesses Buoyant in Run up to Christmas
- Join us in making the climate crisis history
- Lockdown Lessons
- Mental Health and Wellbeing: Helping our Colleagues
- Delivering Net Zero Carbon Emissions by 2030
- TalkTalk Business Critical Infrastructure Update
- How to help your staff get the most from their home connectivity
- TalkTalk Business picks up “Best Business” award at ITSPA this year
- Partner Restructure
- Britain's businesses prepare for hyper- speed
- Employees want tech to improve productivity
- 1 in 3 British employees expect more workplace flexibility in the next decade
- Peace of mind matters. So why leave your resiliency to chance?
- Only 1 in 5 workers see AI as a threat
- Are businesses ready to cope with tech advances?
- Preliminary FY17 Results
- TalkTalk Business Awarded Mitel Platinum Partner Status
- UK workers say OMG to RFID chip tracking
- Spend on Small Business Saturday up 15% to £717 Million
- TalkTalk Business launches new suite of Cloud-ready connectivity products
- TalkTalk Business appoints Duncan Gooding as Chief Operating Officer
- TalkTalk launches FibreNation
- TalkTalk Business first to launch business-grade broadband packages to address huge surge in working from home
- A rapid response: how we’ve delivered critical connections during COVID-19
New research from TalkTalk Business has revealed that more than half of small businesses (58%) in the UK are expecting their strongest Christmas on record, as the pandemic shift towards online shopping means consumers started their Christmas shopping earlier and are spending more.
This has led to a wave of optimism among small business owners:
- Six in ten say customers spend more with them if they shop online instead of in person
- 71% are confident that their online offering means they can have a strong Christmas even if restrictions are introduced over the winter
- Over half expect their new year to their most profitable
Small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
say digital acceleration during the pandemic has been crucial to their prospects of a profitable finish to 2021. 81% invested in their digital and online services during the pandemic, and this has led to a transformation in the way businesses are operating. The same percentage (81%) say they adapted or added online services, while more than half (56%) said the pandemic forced them to make changes to their business they should have made earlier.
Of the SME owners that made changes to their business, 60% added new digital or online payment options, 55% increased their online or digital marketing, and 31% started offering home delivery/takeaway for products.
With their enhanced digital infrastructure, more small businesses now have the capabilities to process more card payments (essential in our increasingly cashless society), accurately manage their stock with up to the minute information, and bolster their online presence to cater to the growing demand for online shopping.
Accordingly, 80% of SMEs said that access to fast, reliable broadband had been vital to their business operation during the pandemic, while 73% said that their business’ dependence on broadband is only set to increase.
In 2020, internet usage by independent retailers increased by 52% during the festive period. TalkTalk Business expects this to rise even further in 2021 as some consumers adopt an online-first approach for their Christmas shopping.
Alex Regan, Distribution & Finance Controller at independent fashion retailer 304 Clothing, says the company is expecting record sales this Christmas: “Our business has changed dramatically over the past 18 months, with 80% of our domestic and global sales now coming through our website and mobile app. Retail is evolving and customers are shifting from shopping in store to online channels due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
“Investing in our website and rolling out a new mobile app have been crucial to our growth. Sales have increased by 40% over the past year, which wouldn’t have been possible without our switch to full fibre broadband with TalkTalk Business. Looking at our sales, our customers have already started their Christmas shopping, so we anticipate this festive period to be our best ever.”
Although face to face commerce remains hugely important for small business, the push to make themselves more digitally accessible has been eagerly accepted by shoppers who prefer to undertake their Christmas shopping online. And if the government introduces further restrictions to combat the Omicron variant, then a robust digital presence will become even more critical to SMEs:
- Nearly a quarter (23%) of consumers say all of their Christmas shopping with small businesses will be done online
- More than a third (38%) of shoppers will avoid busy high streets this Christmas as social distancing won’t be possible
- 37%are steering clear of large crowds prior to seeing family.
Jonathan Kini, Managing Director of TalkTalk Direct Consumer and B2B, said, “It is brilliant to see small business owners expecting to have such a strong Christmas, a vital period for so many enterprises. While we await the government’s response to the Omicron variant, by offering a mixture of face to face and online shopping, independent retailers can ensure they are ready to make the most of the Christmas period!
Looking beyond Christmas and into the new year, the mood among small business owners is buoyant, in spite of the challenges they’ve faced in 2021. 75% of UK SMEs say they’re optimistic their business will grow in the next 12 months, while almost two thirds (61%) have increased their customer base.
And now that they’re more digitally enabled and better connected than ever,56% of small businesses feel they’re in a better position to grow than pre-pandemic.
Looking transform your operations and take your business connectivity to the next level? We’re with you.
Click here to check out our range of connectivity solutions.