- Partner Types
- Why TalkTalk Business?
News & Insight
- Openreach’s Exchange Upgrade & Migration trials: What you need to know
- 4 reasons full fibre outperforms copper every time
- Partner Roadshow 2020: Follow the fibre
- Enhanced Monitoring: Unleash the power of data(2)
- One Customer Desk: Becoming easier to do business with
- 7 reasons you don’t want to miss the Partner Roadshow
- Case study: Using powerful data to drive fibre upsell for our Partners
- Digital Britain 2.0: Comms Vision 2019 highlights
- Capacity Europe 2019 highlights
- 6 reasons to add G.fast to your connectivity portfolio
- Could EoFTTC hit the sweet spot for your customers?
- 3 things we learned at Channel Live 2019
- 5 reasons to visit us at Channel Live
- Harnessing Google's digital marketing insights to boost your business
- How to use robotics to improve business operations
- Q&A with Simon Leather at Connected Britain 2019
- Fibre and the channel: Busting the myths
- International Telecoms Week 2019: Meet the team
- Key takeaways from the Connectivity Matters Summit 2019
- Why the WLR switch off is an opportunity, not a threat
- 4 insights to reduce churn and stay one step ahead
- What we learnt at our first Partner Roadshow
- 5 ways to support your customers’ digital transformation
- Our COO's tips for winning business through customer experience
- Telco forecast: What to expect in 2019
- Top 5 network insights
- What's Christmas without connection?
- 11 steps to reduce the risk of telecoms Fraud over Christmas
- Help your customers win more this Black Friday
- Rob's had a day to forget
- Comms vision 2018 Highlights
- Meet us at Capacity Europe
- Making Unified Communications reeeeeally simple
- The Third Wave of Connectivity Evolution……Ultrafast
- Soapworks - A home to be proud of
- Intro to Knowledge
- Proud to be keeping Britain connected
- Ofcom reports our managed broadband speeds ahead of competition
- Preparing for the second surge in remote working
- Accelerate your Homeworker opportunity with our data and insights
- The future of telephony - Our VoIP journey so far...
- Changing the way we communicate for the better
- TalkTalk Business delighted to announce our 'Covid-critical' broadband engineers have been awarded MBEs
- TalkTalk Business win ‘Best Wholesale Sales Team’ Award at the Global Carrier Awards 2020!
- Everything you need to know about G.fast
- Markets Unlocked – TalkTalk Business joins the debate on a full fibre future
- Helping our Partners to build back better
- TalkTalk Business win Best Fibre Connectivity Provider at the Comms Business Awards 2020!
- Improving Employee Well-Being During COVID-19
- We’d like to introduce you to our TalkTalk Business Product Solutions Team – Focusing on creating value for our Partners
- TalkTalk Business shares research whitepaper to help Partners address the mass shift to hybrid working
- G.fast or FTTP – What are they and how to make the right choice for your customers?
- Six Top Tips to Help Your Employees Stay Connected While Working from Home
- Workplace wellbeing: A checklist for your business
- How to get a better work-life balance when hybrid working
- The modern workplace
- Wholesale Virtual Event 2021 – Reconnecting with our Partners
- Wholesale Virtual Event: A faster future
- Important update – Openreach stop sell at selected Exchanges
- Hybrid Working Opportunities for the Channel - Our Roundtable Discussion
- Full Fibre is far better for the environment
- Top tips on how you can support your remote workers
- Your full fibre broadband overview
- TalkTalk Wholesale Services has been shortlisted for 8 Awards in 2021!
- TalkTalk Business Critical Infrastructure Update
- TalkTalk Business takes home a BESMA award
- We're finalists in the Global Women in Telco and Tech awards
- TalkTalk Business is a finalist in the Comms National Awards 2019
- TalkTalk Business’ MPLS network to be implemented at Multi-Academy Trust to drive efficiencies and save costs
- TalkTalk Business shortlisted for the CRN Women in Channel Awards
- TalkTalk Business picks up “Best Business” award at ITSPA this year
- Increased investment in our Partners
- Britain's businesses prepare for hyper- speed
- TalkTalk launches campaign to raise awareness of vulnerable connectivity
- TalkTalk Business offer businesses greater resiliency with Mobile Back-up
- Everything you need to know about IP Voice (VoIP)
- Important Notification of Change Freeze 2020
Did you know that during public holidays the industry sees an increase in attempted PBX hacks? During the festive period, business premises are often left empty or operate on skeleton staff. Fraudsters attempt to take advantage of this by hacking into the internal spend and usage monitoring.
Typically, PBX fraudsters make their money by making lots of calls to premium rate international numbers from someone else’s PBX and then sharing the revenue with whoever rents the number.
The threat of hacks are too significant to be ignored. TalkTalk Business has previously commissioned research with Cenuswide which indicated that over a quarter of businesses have fallen victim to a PBX hack in the last 5 years with the average cost of the attack reaching over £12,000.* Can your customers afford to take the risk?
Tips to increase PBX security
To help your customers increase their PBX security and get on the front foot in the fight to prevent financial loss, check out my 11 top tips:
- Lock down international and premium rate access if this type of calling is not going to be required.
- Remove all default password settings when deploying the PBX and limit access to any maintenance ports.
- Change passwords and access codes regularly and create longer passwords using both alpha and numeric. Avoid 000, 1234 and extension numbers.
- Consider limiting call types by extension - if a user has no requirement to ring international or premium rate numbers then bar access to them.
- Review any DISA (Direct Inwards System Access) settings and control or deactivate – this is typically used to allow employees to dial in from home to make outbound calls (usually high value call types – mobile and international in particular) via the company PBX .
- Secure the system physically - site it in a secure communications room and restrict access to that area.
- Regularly review call usage - Analyse billed calls by originating extension and identify irregular usage.
- Ensure you fully understand your systems functionality and capabilities and restrict access to those services which you do not use.
- Block access to unallocated mailboxes on the system and change the default PIN on unused mailboxes.
- Be vigilant for evidence of hacking – not being able to obtain an outbound line is usually a good indicator of high volumes of traffic through your system. Check for calls outside of business hours.
- Assess security of all PBX peripherals and applications: platform, operating system, password and permissions scheme. Carefully evaluate the security of any on-board remote management utility (e.g. PC Anywhere).
Lastly, I hope you and your customers have a great Christmas and New Year, if you have any questions for our Fraud team you can get in touch directly by contacting email@example.com
*TalkTalk Business & Cenuswide Next Generation Voice Survey (1,000 participants)