- Partner Types
- Why TalkTalk Business?
News & Insight
- Openreach’s Exchange Upgrade & Migration trials: What you need to know
- 4 reasons full fibre outperforms copper every time
- Partner Roadshow 2020: Follow the fibre
- Enhanced Monitoring: Unleash the power of data(2)
- One Customer Desk: Becoming easier to do business with
- 7 reasons you don’t want to miss the Partner Roadshow
- Case study: Using powerful data to drive fibre upsell for our Partners
- Digital Britain 2.0: Comms Vision 2019 highlights
- Capacity Europe 2019 highlights
- 6 reasons to add G.fast to your connectivity portfolio
- Could EoFTTC hit the sweet spot for your customers?
- 3 things we learned at Channel Live 2019
- 5 reasons to visit us at Channel Live
- Harnessing Google's digital marketing insights to boost your business
- How to use robotics to improve business operations
- Q&A with Simon Leather at Connected Britain 2019
- Fibre and the channel: Busting the myths
- International Telecoms Week 2019: Meet the team
- Key takeaways from the Connectivity Matters Summit 2019
- Why the WLR switch off is an opportunity, not a threat
- 4 insights to reduce churn and stay one step ahead
- What we learnt at our first Partner Roadshow
- 5 ways to support your customers’ digital transformation
- Our COO's tips for winning business through customer experience
- Telco forecast: What to expect in 2019
- Top 5 network insights
- What's Christmas without connection?
- 11 steps to reduce the risk of telecoms Fraud over Christmas
- Help your customers win more this Black Friday
- Rob's had a day to forget
- Comms vision 2018 Highlights
- Meet us at Capacity Europe
- Making Unified Communications reeeeeally simple
- The Third Wave of Connectivity Evolution……Ultrafast
- Soapworks - A home to be proud of
- Intro to Knowledge
- Proud to be keeping Britain connected
- Ofcom reports our managed broadband speeds ahead of competition
- Preparing for the second surge in remote working
- Accelerate your Homeworker opportunity with our data and insights
- The future of telephony - Our VoIP journey so far...
- Changing the way we communicate for the better
- TalkTalk Business delighted to announce our 'Covid-critical' broadband engineers have been awarded MBEs
- TalkTalk Business win ‘Best Wholesale Sales Team’ Award at the Global Carrier Awards 2020!
- Everything you need to know about G.fast
- Markets Unlocked – TalkTalk Business joins the debate on a full fibre future
- Helping our Partners to build back better
- TalkTalk Business win Best Fibre Connectivity Provider at the Comms Business Awards 2020!
- Improving Employee Well-Being During COVID-19
- We’d like to introduce you to our TalkTalk Business Product Solutions Team – Focusing on creating value for our Partners
- TalkTalk Business shares research whitepaper to help Partners address the mass shift to hybrid working
- G.fast or FTTP – What are they and how to make the right choice for your customers?
- Six Top Tips to Help Your Employees Stay Connected While Working from Home
- Workplace wellbeing: A checklist for your business
- How to get a better work-life balance when hybrid working
- The modern workplace
- Wholesale Virtual Event 2021 – Reconnecting with our Partners
- Wholesale Virtual Event: A faster future
- Important update – Openreach stop sell at selected Exchanges
- Hybrid Working Opportunities for the Channel - Our Roundtable Discussion
- TalkTalk Business Critical Infrastructure Update
- TalkTalk Business takes home a BESMA award
- We're finalists in the Global Women in Telco and Tech awards
- TalkTalk Business is a finalist in the Comms National Awards 2019
- TalkTalk Business’ MPLS network to be implemented at Multi-Academy Trust to drive efficiencies and save costs
- TalkTalk Business shortlisted for the CRN Women in Channel Awards
- TalkTalk Business picks up “Best Business” award at ITSPA this year
- Increased investment in our Partners
- Britain's businesses prepare for hyper- speed
- TalkTalk launches campaign to raise awareness of vulnerable connectivity
- TalkTalk Business offer businesses greater resiliency with Mobile Back-up
- Everything you need to know about IP Voice (VoIP)
- Important Notification of Change Freeze 2020
Why the WLR switch off is an opportunity, not a threat
The 2025 switch off is significant for the Telco industry and will have a huge impact on many people’s lives. But that doesn’t make it a bad thing.
The countdown is on
While 2025 may seem like a long way away, Openreach's timeline reveals that there are big changes coming soon.
In 2023 Openreach will stop selling and making products available for new supply. By April 2025 they will focus on the migration of ‘orphaned’ end customers to new voice IP services. Finally in December 2025, all ISDN and WLR services and relevant products will be withdrawn and no longer be in use.
What’s driving the WLR switch off?
Openreach have outlined several key reasons for the switch off.
PSTN services are old and getting harder to maintain, plus there is a growing global trend to move away from traditional phone networks to IP based voice solutions.
Openreach have continually been investing in a broadband infrastructure and encouraging customers to move from traditional calls to Internet-based voice solutions, with plans to consolidate exchanges throughout the country. By enforcing the 2025 cut off point, users will swiftly migrate onto the new systems by a set deadline.
Think opportunity, not threat
With 16 million lines to be migrated and 400+ CPs, we understand that the switch off can seem like a challenge. In addition, many of the lines are connected to critical, often lifesaving, services such as emergency alarms and traffic lights.
However, before you panic, we urge you to think of the switch off as an opportunity to introduce a variety of IP based voice products to your customers and guide them into the future of voice, rather than seeing it as a threat.
TalkTalk Business will help you grow during the 2025 switch off
- As a Tier 1 operator, we’ve been running WLR equivalent/Class 5 services for 15 years to over 4 million VoIP end-customers. These includes over 1m customers through hundreds of CPs.
- Our Core SIP network switches over billions of minutes each year, along with our wide portfolio of IP Business services supported across multiple access technologies.
- We are a strategic Partner of Openreach and will work incredibly closely with them to update you on the switch off.
- We will help you stay up to date with key timings through regular communications. Plus, if you can’t attend Openreach’s working groups, we can represent your feedback and provide you with all the updates that follow.